St. Patrick's is a Catholic school that strives to educate the whole person. It is our Faith and Traditions that bind us, as we foster caring relationships between staff, students, school and home and the wider community.
St Patrick's School supports Child Safety and has policies and procedures in place to promote well-being and to ensure all children are protected from harm.
Following the influx of settlers into Gordon in 1858 when gold was discovered in the district, the first Church-school was built 1864 on the site of the present town hall.
In 1875, Gordon was declared a parish, and St Patrick's Church, though then incomplete, was dedicated by Dr. Goold. A Catholic school was opened at the St Patrick's Hall in 1890, with over 70 children attending.
In 1915, the Sisters of St Joseph began teaching at Gordon. They lived in the Gordon Convent, which was then the second presbytery, situated on the northern side of the town. This was moved to the site of the present convent in 1938.
The convent was rebuilt in 1965, and was opened by Archbishop Fox.
The original section of the current school building was blessed and opened in 1930 by Archbishop Mannix. Provision of water supply and toilet facilities occurred between 1940 and 1960, with an extension to the school of an extra classroom, and small office. In 1993, the building was further extended and refurbished. A multi-purpose shelter was built in 2000. In 2005 a double portable was placed on the hill overlooking our oval and now serves as an art room and library. Our old library was turned into a technology room.
2009 saw great changes to our facilities with the Federal Government supporting the school with a building of our multipurpose facility, which provided a gathering space, kitchen and boardroom was built at this time.
Today, the community that our school serves is quite diverse. The original settlers who were predominantly farmers of Irish descent worked the rich red soils of the district.
There is a strong historical link between the local community, the Church and the School. Over the past 20 years, the Gordon district has attracted many new inhabitants from a variety of backgrounds who now call Gordon home.
St. Patrick's currently has 50 students and boasts modern classrooms, a library, art room, a large under cover multi-purpose shelter, vegetable garden and chook yards supporting an environmental program, and is surrounded by beautiful landscaped gardens. Students use their own iPads and lap top computers which are supplied by school to support personalised learning through our wireless system which supports the entire school. We enjoy a mix of traditional learning as well as incorporating current teaching strategies which increase student input and control over their learning with regular and targeted feedback from peers and teachers.
Our specialist classes this year include weekly Japanese, Physical Education, Science and Art lessons which are delivered across all levels of the school.
The School recognises and responds to the dynamic nature of the community it serves. The School holds the basic tenets of delivering a comprehensive education program with a strong focus on Catholic values. It offers an excellent academic program in modern and comfortable facilities, in an open, safe and spacious environment.